Monday, October 19, 2009

nefertiti: gravitas


























Welcome to the musical playground of the royal family of rarified elegance.

Before I even heard of nefertiti (the band), I heard the tune "pyramids": "Are you ready to be buried with your king? Dress up nice for death. We must be going." The lilting of the music was like a paper cut from a sheet of thin glass made from hot sand blowing fast across across my exposed eardrums.

When I first asked the name of the band after hearing this tune, of course, the comment I heard in the dorm was, "Only constipated headholes listen to flute." But there's much more than flute to nefertiti, and personally, I think more than wine sipper-cheese eaters might adore this album.

Indeed, gravitas has its monastery music (mostly Latin chants) and a smattering of ancient instrumentals including a thrilling tune called "thrombosis" that features shofar.

No comments:

Chorus Line

Queries and Submissions and Forensic Science

albumcoversmadefamous(at)gmail(dot)com

Join the Facebook Party!